Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney

  Last week I read The Martian, which I really loved.  This week, I returned to not being the biggest fan of science fiction reading Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney.  I found this story and its characters hard to relate to, and the idea of mind experiments in general doesn't interest me very much.
  A language that can essentially be used as a weapon in warfare seems like an interesting concept.  While the concept is interesting, I felt as though Babel-17 wasn't the best execution of the theme.  I found myself confused at times with the world and plot points.  Maybe this book just went over my head, maybe I didn't give it a fair enough shot with my hesitation to read science fiction, or maybe it had too many elements that to me, just didn't fit together.  The strange surgical modifications mixed with the ghosts mixed with telepathy made me feel both confused, and like something was out of place.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein and the Gothic

The Night Circus

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers